Thursday, April 5, 2012

Curried Vegetables over Noodles

I've been away from cooking due to a crazy schedule and travelling but I happy to be back.

Back with a well-intentioned but not so great meal.  I will give you the recipe as I made it but include in brackets where something should change in the future to make it delicious.  I learned a lot from this meal...mainly that brussel sprouts do not like to be curried.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a oven safe dish (large) with a lid put the following:

  • 1 tbs of Coconut Oil
  • 1 can of lite coconut milk (you can do regular)
  • 1/2 tbs of honey [1 tbs would be better]
  • 2 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp of nutmeg
  • 2.5 tbs of curry powder
  • 1/2 tbs of paprika
  • 1 tbs of tamari sauce (gf)
  • 1/4 cup of raisin  [1/2 cup wouldn't hurt]
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tsp of thyme
  • 4 cloves  [not necessary, gave an odd taste at times]
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 baskets of brussel sprouts [not good,  go for a head of cauliflower and some carrots instead!!!]
  • 2" of diced ginger
  • 3 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1/3 yellow onion, chopped
  • 6oz plain greek yogurt (fat free)
  • 1 tbs tumeric
  • 1 cup of sweet peppers, chunk
mix that all up, cover it and put it in the oven for 20 minutes, then add 1/2 a box of frozen cut corn
While the mixture bakes, make 1 pound of brown rice spaghetti or other pasta.  Cook it quite al dente, drain it and then rinse it with cool water.  
After 35 minutes of more oven time, mix the pasta in with the mixture (plan to have a bigger oven dish so you don't make another dish dirty).  
Back into the dish with no lid and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes to bring it all together.   

The dish will be delicious (even more so with my recommendations above in brackets)!!  it is quite easy, super healthy and very comforting!  

I can't wait to make it again with other vegetables...just not brussel sprouts again, their bitter taste did not work with curry.  I could also handle it being a bit spicier, maybe some cayenne next time.  

1 comment:

  1. I just want to add that this photo makes the dish look horrible but it was great!
    this photo also encouraged me to start adjusting the coloring before I post. My camera loves to drift towards yellow and amber for every photo. This dish was quite colorful, regardless of the photo!

    ReplyDelete